Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Just like honey


That great love sound
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.

What does this reverbalux box have to do with anything? Reverb, to me is "that great love sound." Not echo, not delay -- reverb. Its the sonic phenomenon that makes poor singers sound great in the shower. Its also why doing a field recording of people speaking works best when done in a car or van loaded with band gear. Its the sound bouncing off other stuff and back into your ear with the layers and effects of the stuff and the bouncing. You know, just like "Just Like Honey" by Jesus and Mary Chain.

This nifty machine is not actually in commission that I know of. It is perched near a window that lets in beautiful light at Jim Diamond's studio, Ghetto Recorders in Detroit. I spend lots of time there, but this photo was taken during the Witches recording sessions for Thriller, their yet-to-be-released album.

There are songs on that album I find absolutely brilliant in their sonic and their emotional quality. Today, my favorite is "Silent and the Shade." It is speaking on my behalf right now.

No comments: