Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Map; The Swimming Pool


Stiv Icon
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.
Stiv Bators is the guy who put me on the map, as far as being a notable photographer of the punk heyday. Sure, sure, I did the Germs "Forming" record cover but they didn't give me photo credit. I did the Pandoras "Hot Generation" record cover, and got photo credit, but the print job registration is not all that good. Of course, I did provide hours of viewing pleasure for many teen aged boys, I am sure. Who else? Got credit for Frankie Avalon & Annette Funnicello's Christmas single sleeve as well as the Ventures "Surfin & Spying" picture sleeve BUT the one record that really delivered me was Stiv's solo album, "Disconnected." All the photos but the front cover were mine. I got photo credit, and I hung out with a bunch of nice guys. That's their dirty secret. Bunch of nice guys.

Unbeknownst to me, many of the photos have since become iconic shots of Stiv, that band and that era. I had no idea.

I've been living in a bubble, I suppose.

Anyway, as I write this, I'm sitting in my house waiting for one other rock guy to come over and reimburse me for photo expenses I fronted a month ago. I'm waiting for the credit for some work I billed a long time ago to hit my account electronically. I can't leave because I have no money and I'm stuck here waiting for people to pay me what I'm owed.

Is this any way to live?

I know that Van Gogh never sold a painting while he was alive. And I'm not comparing my art's staying power or relevance or anything to Vincent. It is as wrong now as it was in the 19th Century.

If you are going to enjoy the fruits of someone's labor, the labor must be compensated somehow.

Funny that Stiv, the Dead Boys and their ilk have a reputation for being bad boys. They were actually the nicest guys, respectful and took care of business financially - at least with me. Perhaps the adage made popular by Bob Dylan in "Absolutely Sweet Marie" is right: "To live outside the law you must be honest."

I do and I am. Where are the rest of you?

No comments: