Saturday, February 19, 2005

At least they love me...


My two nieces
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.
That's right - I have not been feeling the love lately.

But I can count on my two nieces -- Sheila the dog, and Joy -- they love me and they miss me. I get the silly phone calls that tell me so.

When the below-freezing temperatures and lake effect snow exacerbate my arthritis (its in my hip bones, doncha know - sometimes I walk like an old lady), I look back at this photo, taken at Pismo Beach (it exists - Bugs Bunny did NOT make it up) in January and actually miss that about California. Its warm all the time. I find that abnormal - but it isn't abnormal for California.

So - not feeling the love. I am one of those people who need to have confirmations about EVERYTHING. It comes from being a manager and needing to know if things got done. And its one of those things where, in my old age, I am becoming my mom. She always wanted to know where I was going, who I was going with, when I was going to be home and all that stuff that moms want to know. And she always threatened that when I had my own kids, I would understand what I was putting her through.

Well, I have a niece. And I can see, from the safety of the "Cool Aunt" position, just how right my mom was.

But back to this confirmation thing - I worked for a year with the law firm that represents Sherry Lansing, the outgoing President of Paramount Pictures. Those rumors that she returned every incoming phone call is true. It makes good business sense, especially to my Old World Work Ethic.

So - these past couple weeks - I've put questions out there, emails, telephone calls. Does anyone get back to me? No. And its not the substance of the answer that I care about - its just HELLO - give me an answer so that I can get on with what I'm doing and that thing where I needed your input. Without your response, I'm just moving ahead without you.

Question is: does it really hurt me more than it hurts you, or vice versa?

No comments: