Saturday, February 26, 2005

Dollface...


Nic
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.
This is young Nicholaus Arson of the Swedish garage rock sensation, The Hives. He crossed my path on Irving Place as I was walking from my dinner with The Reigning Sound at Pete's Tavern towards Irving Plaza for the gig where both bands were playing.

Do you think he's good looking? A lot of young girls do - and he's eye candy, to be sure. Nice clear blue eyes and black hair - that's a big plus in my book.

The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about looks, appearances, attractiveness and all that for a couple days.

As I walked across the Abbey Avenue Viaduct, with traffic zooming past me as well as below me, I pondered the silly photo session I had a couple weeks ago. Its like when you think about Cheap Trick - there's a band with two rock stars and two cartoon characters. Who's easier to photograph? Ostensibly, either/or. Each type has a pose, a look, a stance. I photographed such a band, and don't you know it, the cute guy and the front man were just too hard to capture. The two guys whose photos turned out beautifully were the so-called regular guys.

So, it got me to thinking about how men and women look at each other, in terms of gaze. In terms of being an object and a subject.

And I decided to twist around that postmodern feminist take on film theory - Laura Mulvey's concept of "the male gaze." I am creating a collection called The Female Gaze.

I think it should speak volumes for itself.

So, Nic is not yet in that collection. I'm only posting seven men per week. One a day. That's plenty. Or maybe even too much!

Nic will join the ranks next week. And joining him will be #2 in my series of Bass Players With Money ! ? Who knows who else?

No comments: