Sunday, February 20, 2005

Third World Foundry


India
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.
As I typed in that title, I thought, "hmm, good name for a political punk band!"

I started photographing manhole covers and other foundried "art" about 5 years ago in Brooklyn, NY. As I walked from the subway to my friend Barbara's house, I noticed that the manhole covers that bore the names "NYC Sewer" or "NEW YORK" also bore the origination of the foundry that pounded them out: Made in China or Made in India.

I loved the manhole cover designs - they looked like tribal tattoos and they picked up and reflected light like nothing else. Shooting them presented a panoply of photographic delights - each film stock caught different reflective nuances- each time of day made them shine differently too.

On a socio-political level, it was far too easy to go off on a tangent such as "on the backs of the Third World, posh New Yorkers flush...." But it is pretty obviously there for the ranting.

This manhole cover is in front of the Trader Joe's store in Arroyo Grande, CA. I ducked into Trader Joe's to pick up some lunch victuals for my day at Pismo Beach with my two nieces (yesterday's post) and saw this India-foundried gem.

No comments: