Monday, February 21, 2005

Today's most popular band photo


Detroit City Council
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.
I woke up this morning to find that this photo of the Detroit City Council is the most popular of band photos I have posted on Flickr, a photo sharing website where I have 100 photos posted.

I'm pleased. I LOVE DETROIT CITY COUNCIL. Led by Tom Potter, they are a fun and funky ensemble and one of the rare white boy funk bands to have the wherewithall to have a Black rhythm section. It's funk, after all. And it's DETROIT!

This picture reminds me of one of the little photos inside the gatefold cover of The Band's first album. The picture was taken in the big warehouse rehearsal space the band has in Detroit's Cass Corridor. Its right next door to a branch of the post office where I got some exceptionally attitudinal service.

For those who don't know - DCC's frontman Tom Potter was the founder of Bantam Rooster, one of the first two-man bands to hit the popular music radar. In it, he played a loud and nasty guitar. Their album, "Deal Me In" was a seminal entry in the 1990's resurgence of Detroit as a repository of exceptional music. Tom went on to join the The Dirtbombs, where he provided the fuzz on bass and baritone guitar. Now he fronts Detroit City Council.

My favorite funk band.

No comments: