Friday, February 11, 2005

Yours truly


me
Originally uploaded by Theresa K.
It is lightly snowing right now in Cleveland, Ohio.

This photo of me was taken exactly 2 years ago today. I just had a haircut and needed a head shot for the SXSW website to accompany my bio - I was speaking on a panel there. The panel was something about using popular music in film & tv, which is what I am usually asked to talk about in these conventions.

Not going to SXSW this year - its cost prohibitive, but boy does Austin, TX in mid-March sound good to me! BBQ and a bunch of bands. But all in all, its kind of a pig fuck. In 2003, everywhere I went, I ran into someone I didn't want to see, but when you swim in a small pool, what can you expect? Thankfully, Bryan Malone was there to tank me up on vodka and BBQ, because with enough of that, you can forget everything. Oh, and when CC Adcock flirts with you, that helps too!

Leaving Austin and driving up to Dallas, I actually got lost (highway construction around the Dallas city limits) finding my hotel in Plano and never made it to see Bryan and the Forty-Fives open for the Dirtbombs at the Gypsy Tea Room.... I had a car and everything - but I was afraid I'd never find my way back to the hotel. What an idiot, huh? Well, a year later, I did see the Forty-Fives open for the Dirtbombs, so there you go.

SXSW 2003 was the last time my former music biz partner, Jack Emerson made a big public appearance.
He passed away in November of that year.
Truly sad. At SXSW 2003 and Americana Music Convention 2003, we were trying to kick start our new label, Jack Of Hearts Recordings. Jack was too ill in September at Americana to leave his house. Cash had passed right about the same time in Nashville. It was pretty sad for all that musical talent to be silenced so quickly in one place in one short year.... June, Johnny and Jack - same hospital, same city, same sadness.

No comments: