Thursday, February 24, 2005

Cooking with Cobra Verde


cv4-23
Originally uploaded by Cool Auntie.
About ten days ago, I did photos with Cobra Verde, a Cleveland rock band I rather like.

They are a nice bunch of fellas. Real dudes, you know? Midwestern guys who like cars, sports, beer and girls, and probably in that order, although, I'm sure sports comes in at first position more often than not.

What's good about Cobra Verde is that they play Big Dumb Rock over some clever lyrics and they don't take the game so seriously like some bands do to the point where you want to slap them. They're also a good ensemble and although they can be sloppy, its good sloppy - meaning, FUN.

But when you take those attributes and put the five men up in the attic with a few changes of clothes and some dramatic lighting, all hell breaks loose and its like herding cats.

Having them pose was a challenge. They posed, and I bet they don't know the attitude that comes across. It was probably one of the more trying sessions I've had. I've photographed people known to be difficult and they were in fact, easy to work with. I thought Cobra Verde would be fun and goofy - but they were goofy like pranksters and I think we missed opportunities to capture something archival or legacy-oriented.

On the other hand - there's this shot in the kitchen where they look like they're enjoying it.

How much you wanna bet this is their favorite shot of the day's work as well?

Really PLEASE don't get me wrong. I like these people. I do. And I think you would enjoy the brand of rock they purvey. So catch em when you can.

No comments: